Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The Chennai Chronicles..

...this will happen in bits, as its too long and too "separate" to write together..

Southward Ho!!!

From the very onset, there were upraised eyebrows. And some loud guffaws. “what, ur going to CHENNAI? In this HEAT?..Well, don’t say I didn’t warn you”. And more jokes to that effect. O what we suffer for our friends..3 of them, who had been badgering me for over a year to visit them.

The trip started off, not with a bang, but a whimper. Standing at the bus stop for an hour, after which 4 of us assorted travelers were bundled up onto the bus, by a kid from the travel agency. As I sank into cushioned AC comfort, some random instinct made me ask my co-passenger what time we would be reaching Chennai (ok, so he was young and cute, and I was making conversation :-D)

To our total consternation, he looked at me wide eyed, and said “This bus goes to Hyderabad”. At which point we all scrambled down the steps, retrieved our baggage, yelled that the idiot guy, and returned en masse, on sit on the steps of some ramshackle house , and wait for the correct Volvo.

Gave way to hysterical laughter as I thought of how I was almost unknowingly carried off into the land of the famous biriyani.

No comments: