Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Woman overboard

I bought and I bought and I bought… tons and tons of books, in November. I think I went to town, telling myself it was all valid since I hadn’t bought anything for a long long time. Am happily ploughing through the lot, right now. Winter is the perfect season for curling up with a book, snug under blankets, steaming hot coffee and some munchies by one’s side.

The list:

Jonathan Stroud: The Bartimeous Trilogy (BRILLIANT read, but more about that later)
The Amulet of Samarkand
Golem’s Eye
Ptolemy’s Gate

Bill Watterson: The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes. This marks my 8th C&H till date.. slow and steady buying.

Asterix comics I had left.. this completes my collections (O Happy Day)
Obelix and Co.
Asterix and the Class Act: this one’s a compilation of 14 short stories.

6 Enid Blytons (don’t laugh).. Bought the mystery series…a favorite of my childhood, my friend bought some others. We both discovered we have moms who threw out (i.e., gave away to random people) our books, when they thought we had outgrown them. Which we might have, but there is something very comforting to settle down with those books once in a while, and invite old memories in :)

2 Chetan Bhagat’: I know he is being touted as something mind boggling, but found both books okie. Good flow of writing, witty and fast. But quite forgettable, really. Feel free to disagree with me :)
5-Point Someone
One night at the Call Centre

Louis Theroux: Call of the Weird. All about alternative societies, aka people who believe in aliens, people of the red light areas, people who are Ku-Klux-Gang members. Very interesting read, in a whole new perspective.

Salman Rushdie: Shalimar the Clown

Allan Sealy: The Trotter-Nama. Had read it ages ago, loveod oit, now got it for my own.

Kiran Desai: The Inheritance of Loss

Bulbul Sharma: Stories from a Himalayan Village. Lovely, gentle.. reminds me of the multiple holidays I have spent growing up, in different Himalayan villages

Best Women’s Travel Writing: a collection of lovely prose, by women all over the world, traveling all over the world.

3 Georgette Heyer. Her mystery/murder set. Who would have thought a lady who wrote about Victorian romance, could pen intrigue, with such flair.

1 comment:

Scout said...

i want to get my hands on the woman's travel book. tell me which one it is... and let's meet!